Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Too many opinions

A few months ago I joined the Examiner, which is an online news agency. I had to submit an application and writing sample proving myself to be a reliable independent contractor on the issue I choose - environmental issues. I tried to raise the bar from my normal blogging habits which included researching more issues and trying to write just a little better than normal. I have really enjoyed myself and still am. However, the comments started coming in which I am not use to receiving and was surprised that almost all were negative. People were resorting to calling me uninformed and unprofessional, etc... They even said I was stating untruths. I am not implying that this has never happened. My post prior to this one contained a comment implying the same. I was just not prepared for the the higher level of emotion these commentors had.

This gave me a thought. Everyone is entitled to their opinions; I will always believe this. But there seems to be a little problem emerging. More and more people are becoming less open minded. For example, an individual who believes whole heartedly in man made global warming immediately concludes that an individual believing that global warming is natural is stupid and uninformed. There is no acceptance that for every opinion, there is an anti-opinion so to speak. This frame of mind is damaging to progressive debates on important issues such as the environment, health care, etc... Therefore, unless people can stop believing that they are always right, absolutely nothing will be resolved.

So, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment